Sunday, May 15, 2011

Pearson Brown English Lesson - Phrasal Verb "keep"

This lesson looks at the verb ‘to keep’ combined with particles:

to keep at’ something means to continue doing something even if it is hard or unpleasant.

* Learning phrasal verbs is hard so you have to keep at it every day.
* I had to finish so I kept at it for an hour before I took a break.

to keep back’ means to not use or give away all of something.

* Keep back some of the cream to put on top of the dessert.
* We kept back some of the money for emergencies.

to keep down’ means to stop the number or level of something from rising.

* If we want to make a profit this year, we have to keep costs down as much as possible.
* I try to eat well and exercise regularly to keep my weight down.

to keep off’ = means to not go onto an area.

* Please keep off the grass.
* Keep off the motorway in the morning, there are always traffic jams at that time.

to keep off’ can also mean to not talk about a particular subject.

* He started talking about it. I tried to keep off the subject.
* He can’t keep off the question of climate change, he never stops talking about.

to keep on’ means to continue with something.

* All night long he kept on asking me questions about it.
* I asked him to stop but he just kept on.

to keep out of’ means to not get involved in something.

* It’s not my business. I keep out of their arguments.
* It’s got nothing to do with me. I’m keeping out of it.

to keep to’ means stay on a subject when talking.

* We don’t have much time so can we keep to the agenda, please?
* Can you keep to the point, please?

to keep up’ means to go at the same speed as someone or something.

* She was walking so fast that I couldn’t keep up with her.
* I’ve got too much to do at the moment. I can’t keep up with my work.

Exercises:

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/keepphrasals/exercise1.html

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/keepphrasals/exercise2.html

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/keepphrasals/exercise3.html

No comments:

Post a Comment