Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Pearson Brown English Lesson -Effective Presentations – stating your purpose

It is important to state your purpose clearly at the beginning of your talk. Here are some ways to do this:

talk about = to speak about a subject

* Today I’d like to talk about our plans for the new site.
* I’m going to be talking to you about the results of our survey.

report on
= to tell you about what has been done.

* I’m going to be reporting on our results last quarter.
* Today I will be reporting on the progress we have made since our last meeting.

take a look at
= to examine

* First, let’s take a look at what we have achieved so far.
* Before we go on to the figures, I’d like to take a look at the changes we have made.

tell you about = to speak to someone to give them information or instructions

* First, I will tell you about the present situation, then go onto what we are going to do.
* When I have finished, Jack will then tell you about what is happening in Europe.

show = to explain something by doing it or by giving instructions.

* The object of this morning’s talk is to show you how to put the theory into practice.
* Today I’m going to show you how to get the most out of the new software.

outline = to give the main facts or information about something.

* I’d like to outline the new policy and give you some practical examples.
* I will only give you a brief outline and explain how it affects you.

fill you in on
= to give some extra or missing information

* I’d like to quickly fill you in on what has happened.
* When I have finished outlining the policy, Jerry will fill you in on what we want you to do.

give an overview of = to give a short description with general information but no details.

* Firstly, I would like to give you a brief overview of the situation.
* I’ll give you an overview of our objectives and then hand over to Peter for more details.

highlight
= draw attention to or emphasize the important fact or facts.

* The results highlight our strengths and our weaknesses.
* I’d now like to go on to highlight some of the advantages that these changes will bring.

discuss = to talk about ideas or opinions on a subject in more detail.

* I’m now going to go on to discuss our options in more detail.
* After a brief overview of the results, I’d like to discuss the implications in more detail.

Exercises:

http://effective-public-speaking.com/purpose/exercise1.html
http://effective-public-speaking.com/purpose/exercise2.html
http://effective-public-speaking.com/purpose/exercise3.html
http://effective-public-speaking.com/purpose/exercise4.html

No comments:

Post a Comment