Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Pearson Brown English Lesson - Phrasal Verb "put" part 2

Let’s continue with more expressions with the verb ‘to put’ combined with particles. Here are some more of the most common ones:

to put on’ a piece of clothing means to place it over a part of the body to wear it.

* It’s cold in here. I’m going to put a sweater on.
* Before going out, he put his boots, coat and hat on.

to put on’ the light means to turn it on.

* It’s dark in here. Can you put the light on, please?
* I didn’t put the light on because I didn’t want to disturb you.

to put on’ weight means to gain a few kilos.

* I must go on a diet, I’ve put five kilos on since the holidays.
* He was looking a little fatter. I think he has put some weight on.

to put out’ a light means to turn it off.

* We don’t need the light now. Could you put it out?
* We put out the light and sat in the dark.

to put out’ something burning means to extinguish it.

* You can’t smoke in here. Please put that cigarette out.
* It took only a few minutes for the fire-fighters to put the fire out.

to put out’ somebody means to cause them extra trouble.

* Please don’t go to any trouble. I don’t want to put you out.
* I’d be happy to do it. You’re not putting me out at all.

to put over’ an idea or opinion means to express it.

* He expresses himself very well and puts his ideas over very clearly.
* I don’t think I put my point of view over very well.

to put someone through’ something means you make them do something unpleasant or to suffer it.

* I’m sorry, we have to do it. But believe me, I really don’t want to put you through it.
* We can’t put him through the ordeal of more surgery. He isn’t strong enough.

to put someone through’ on the phone means to connect the caller to another person.

* Please hold the line, I’m putting you through.
* Good morning. Could you put me through to Mr Davies, please?

to put something together’ means to assemble it.

* This modern flat pack furniture is very easy to put together.
* We’ve put together an excellent team to work on this project.

Exercises:


http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/putphrasals3/exercise1.html

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/putphrasals3/exercise2.html

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/putphrasals3/exercise3.html

No comments:

Post a Comment