Sunday, April 17, 2011

Pearson Brown English Lesson - Phrasal Verb "do"

These exercises are about using the verb ‘to do ‘ combined with particles:

‘to do away with’ means to get rid of something or to stop using something.

* We did away with all the old equipment and invested in some new.
* Let’s do away with formality and use first names.

to be done in’ is used to mean you are very tired, totally exhausted.

* When I got home, I collapsed into bed. I was completely done in.
* Working in the garden really did me in. I’m going to have an early night.

to do out’ means to clean and tidy a place thoroughly.

* I’ve done my wardrobes out and given away all my old clothes.
* I can’t get the car in the garage anymore. I’m going to have to do it out and make some space.

to do out in’ means to decorate a place in a certain color or style.

* The bedroom was done out in blue and looked very cold.
* The whole house was done out in a country style with lots of wood and flowers everywhere.

to do over’ means to do something again.

* I don’t like it, so I have decided to do it over and paint it another color.
* I had to do it over because my computer crashed and I hadn’t saved it.

to do up’ means to fasten something.

* Can you do the zip up for me, please? I can’t do it myself.
* Do up your laces before you trip over them.

to do up’ also means to renovate an old building or house.

* They bought an old house in France and spent a few years doing it up.
* Old warehouses along the river have been done up and made into beautiful flats.

to do with’ is used to explain there is a connection from one thing to another.

* It’s got nothing to do with me. I’m not responsible for that.
* He’s something to do with health but I don’t think he is a doctor.

to do with’ is also used to say that you would like to have something.

* I could do with something to eat. I haven’t eaten since breakfast.
* I could do with a good night’s sleep. I haven’t had one for weeks.

to do without’ means you manage to live despite not having something.

* I forgot to buy milk so we’ll just have to do without.
* I don’t need your help. I can do without it.

Exercises:
http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/dophrasals/exercise1.html

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/dophrasals/exercise2.html

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/dophrasals/exercise3.html

No comments:

Post a Comment