Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Pearson Brown English Lesson - Phrasal Verb "get Part 1"

This lesson is the first in two lessons about using the verb ‘to get’ combined with particles. Here are some of the most common:

to get across’ means to communicate, make people understand.

* I’m not sure I got that across very well. I don’t think they really understood.
* He’s an excellent speaker. He can get across even the most complicated ideas.

to get away’ means to go on holiday.

* We had a lovely holiday. We got away for a few days on the beach.
* I don’t think we can get away until the end of the month. We’re too busy.

to get back’ means to return from a trip or a journey.

* She’s still in Taiwan. She doesn’t get back until next week.
* I get back on Friday afternoon. I’ll call you then.

to get back’ can also mean to have returned something you lent to someone.

* I lent him some money last year and I never got it back.
* We have only got back fifty percent of the questionnaires we gave out.

to get back to’ = to speak again with someone or to return a phone call

* When I have more information, I’ll get back to you.
* He got back to me yesterday afternoon with his answer.

to get by’ means to just have enough money or to just manage financially

* At the end of the month, I have no money left. It is difficult to get by on my salary.
* If we are careful, we can get by on less than $20 a day.

to get down to’ means to start some work or a task

* If everybody is here, let’s get down to business.
* I didn’t start it until the last moment. I just couldn’t get down to it.

to get in’ means to arrive home or at the office

* I’m really tired this morning. I didn’t get in until after midnight last night.
* He’s always the last to arrive. He never gets in before 9.30.

to get in’ can also mean to enter

* He opened the door so I could get in the car.
* You need to have some photo id to get in the company.

to get off’ means to leave a bus, train or plane

* Take the 23 bus and get off at the last stop. I live very near there.
* To go to the National Gallery, take the underground and get off at Trafalgar Square.

Exercises:

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/getphrasals1/exercise1.html

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/getphrasals1/exercise2.html

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/getphrasals1/exercise3.html

No comments:

Post a Comment