Monday, January 3, 2011

Pearson Brown English Lesson - Phrasal Verb "take" part 1

Now let’s begin looking at some common expressions using the verb ‘to take ‘ combined with particles:

to take after’ means to resemble a parent or family member.

* She’s blond with blue eyes. She takes after her father.
* He is good at maths. He doesn’t take after me!

to take along’ means you take someone or something with you when you go somewhere.

* I took Sue along to the party. She really enjoyed it.
* Shall we take a bottle along? That is always appreciated.

to take apart’ means to separate something into the parts it is made up of.

* He took the machine apart and couldn’t reassemble it.
* The machine needs taking apart and cleaning and oiling then it’ll work.

to take aside’ means to isolate a person from the rest of a group to talk to them privately.

* After the meeting, he took me aside and asked me what I really thought.
* She took Danny aside and explained what she wanted him to do.

to take away’ means to remove something from its place and put it elsewhere.

* Someone had cleaned the room and taken away all the dirty dishes.
* Take that away! I don’t want it in here.

to take away’ also means to remove something and stop them having it again.

* His passport was taken away so he can’t leave the country.
* Security was very strict in the airport, they even took away my bottle of water!

to take back’ means to return something you have bought or borrowed.

* When I got home I discovered it didn’t work so I took it back to the shop.
* When you’ve finished using it, can you take it back to the kitchen and put it away, please?

to take down’ means to go to a lower level or place with something.

* I took them down to the beach for the day as the weather was beautiful.
* Can you take that down, please? It shouldn’t be up here in your bedroom.

to take down’ also means to remove something that is attached to a wall or other object.

* When I went into the sitting room, I noticed that he had taken down all the pictures.
* Now the election is over, all the posters have been taken down.

Exercises:

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/takephrasals1/exercise1.html

http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/takephrasals1/exercise2.html

No comments:

Post a Comment