Friday, January 21, 2011

Pearson Brown English Lesson - Phrasal Verb "think"

These exercises are about using the verb ‘to think’ combined with particles:

to think ahead’ means to make plans or arrangements for the future.

* Just concentrate on today and try not to think too far ahead.
* We’re already thinking ahead to what will happen after the elections.

to think back’ means to look back over things that have happened.

* When I think back on what I did, I feel embarrassed.
* Think back to when I first lived here and what the house was like then.

to think of’ a fact or something that exists means you know it and can suggest it to someone else.

* I can’t think of any examples of something he has done well.
* Can you think of any reason I should do it? I’m not going to get paid.

to think of’ also means to consider the possibility of doing something.

* I’m thinking of going to Portugal for the holidays.
* He’s thinking of starting his own business.

to think out’ means to prepare or plan something fully before you start doing it.

* He obviously hadn’t thought it out properly before starting.
* It was very well thought out. He had obviously spent a lot of time on it.

to think over’ means to consider something carefully before deciding.

* We’ve got all the information we need. We’d like to think it over.
* I just needed a bit of time to think it over before I told him what I had decided.

to think through’ means to consider something carefully with all the possible consequences.

* It sounds like a good idea but we need to think it through to see if it will work.
* I haven’t had time to think it through at all. I don’t know what will happen.

to think up’ means to create something using your imagination.

* I don’t want to go to their party but I can’t think up an excuse.
* We’ll have to think up a very good reason why we didn’t make the deadline.

Exercises:


http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/thinkphrasals/exercise1.html
http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/thinkphrasals/exercise2.html
http://www.carolinebrownenglishlessons.com/thinkphrasals/exercise3.html

No comments:

Post a Comment